Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Why the Sparrow's Nest?

My first blog was entitled the Sparrow's nest. After three years of blogging somehow most of my blog was lost. I sill can't find some of the posts. But here I explain why I titled the blog thusly.

In Louisa May Alcott's Jack and Jill at the death of a child an old hymn is installed in the writing:
Not a sparrow falleth but its God doth know,
Just as when his mandate lays a monarch low;
Not a leaflet moveth, but its God doth see,
Think not, then, O mortal, God forgeteth thee.
Far more precious surely than the birds that fly
Is a Father’s image to a Father’s eye.
E’en thy hairs are numbered; trust Him full and free,
Cast thy cares before Him, He will comfort thee;
For God planted in thy breast a soul,
On his sacred tables doth thy name enroll.
Cheer thine heart, then, mortal, never faithless be,
He that marks the sparrows will remember thee.
So often I feel like a sparrow.

Alone.
Looking down upon the crowds of rushing ravenous people. Ravenous for hurry, for life, for the days end and days beginning. When all that I want is to find a nest somewhere to brave the wind and torrents of life.
I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top. --Psalm 102:7

Found.
It is odd how you can feel alone yet found in the same moment. I feel found when I remember how fond the Lord is of his people, how he truly madly loves me. That love is my nest.
Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, thine altars, O Lord of hosts, my King, and my God. --Psalm 84:3

So this is where I nest.

No comments: