Monday, August 28, 2006

Looking around...

Every place I have lived (save for the Golden Triangle) I have found something good: the weather, the people, or the experience. Something along those lines that makes is special, redeemable.

Here in Brooklyn...
I love being with my family, though I fight many, many pride issues trying hard not to fall into patterns of the "child." My parents have been great. But they will always be the parents and I the child, even if I am an adult.
The weather is wonderful, much cooler than the Texas heat. Although the humidity isn't that much different from the Houston area. We live a mile or so from the water. So fun.
It's dirty. Not filthy or anything just normal city dirty. One morning I took the dog out and forgot to put on my shoes. I was walking on the sidewalk, (which I have done in every other town I've lived in) when this woman walked by and made a "that's so gross" face at me. I looked around at the ground and thought she's right. I washed my feet thoroughly.
In the South most of us are taught to be polite. If you make eye contact in Texas you smile and say "hi." One of the first times I walked the dog here, lots of people were out on their stoops and me being me, I said "hi" and smiled to each person. And in almost every case the response I got was a look of either surprise or indifference. At the store I said "hi" to the checkout girl and said "thank you" when she handed me my change. Needless to say she looked at me as if I was an odd duck. It's laughable. Sincerely.

One really cool thing is the neighborhoods. They are real neighborhoods. My parents know there neighbors and their lineage. Both are Italian and our landlord's mother (a little Chinese lady whom my parents dubbed "Grandma") lives down stairs. She doesn't speak English, but she is always trying to communicate. A little sign language and good inflection and we sometimes understand each other (I think). It's a heavily Asian and Russian-Jewish community around us. I walked Rollo on Friday and heard the words of the Kiddush. I saw this family gathered around the table, sharing in the observation of a lineage of faith. It was so cool. The diversity is just so beautiful.
It's not the South, with its openness and warmth. But its home for now, and it's special.

No comments: